We are facing a difficult time, unlike any other in Aveanna’s history. With the current COVID-19 situation comes uncertainty, stress, and worry. At times like these, we may struggle to think of anything other than the crisis at hand. But now more than ever, it is important for us to remember the good that is all around us. This month, we want to take the opportunity to recognize Autism Awareness and Occupational Therapy Month and to celebrate our ABA and OT clinicians.
What impresses me most about you, our ABA and OT team members, is the passion you have for your work. You all are truly inspired every single day to care for the children we serve and to aid their families. I recently reached out to some of you with this simple question: “As an OT, COTA, BCBA, or RBT, why do you feel inspired to impact the life of a child and their family every day?” Your answers overwhelmed me and reminded me of the power of the work we do. Although we received many impactful and touching responses (and I wish I could share them all), here are just a few:
• “…because as therapists we provide these families hope, and with hope all things are possible.” – Franchesca Cox, OTR
• “As a BCBA, the children and families we service inspire me to focus on things we can change, changing behaviors and learning adaptive skills.” – Sarah Chung, BSC, BCBA
• “…as I step into a home, the parent begins crying while telling me their child’s fears & telling me the strategies I taught them are working and they can’t contain their excitement.” – Meredith Moon, OT
• “As a pediatric OT, inspiration comes from helping patients achieve small triumphs in the bigger battle of mastering basic life skills.” – Janelle Alamia, OTR
• “…to ensure our kids leave with a little more than what they showed up with that morning.” – Danielle Hooke, BCBA
• “God has blessed me to see these children grow and learn. I see God in each of my children’s eyes when they meet a goal…I love the smile that lights up the room when they’ve done something great.” – Lisa DeLaCerda, COTA
It is clear from these comments that each one of you shines an amazing light on the world every day. Your heart and passion have made our Therapy/ABA Division what it is today. We had a vision to bring together traditional therapy and ABA services in order to provide more comprehensive care to our patients and families. We have realized that dream, thanks to our ABA, OT, PT, and ST clinicians.
We’re excited to expand on our dream during April, while we celebrate you, the work you do, and the growth of our Therapy/ABA Division. We thank you for the services you provide our patients, your commitment to excellence, and the many ways you touch the lives of individuals with autism and their families.
You are united, inspired, and unstoppable, and we are honored to have you on the Aveanna team.
President of ABA and Therapy Division