I believe that any form of exercise is not only good for your physical body, but for your mental well being. I have tried so many different types of classes, gyms and types of exercise. Some, I have actually liked more than I thought. BUT, no doubt about it, walking has been my favorite. I like to walk because it allows me the time to think if I want, to look around and enjoy nature, or to have the company of a friend and catch up.
I am sharing some simple ideas to try and add some activity into your day. I really think it is crucial to our well being.
- Grab A friend to do it with. Even if you don’t like whatever you choose, the friend will help to make you laugh.
- Download a book. I have been listening to books this past year and love the escape. Driving, walking, or even vacuuming the house. Here is a book I am reading now, it will also be in my book of the month, but if you are looking for a book to make you laugh, cry and think, I have it for you. Tell Me More.
- Create a playlist. Music is such a great diversion and you might even find you break out in dance. Here is our first KNOWDifferent playlist. Have a song you want to add? Let me know.
- Sign up for a free class at a local studio. Pilates, yoga, rowing, kickboxing. Anything that sounds of interest, give it a try, You have nothing to lose, and if you love it, maybe you will consider signing on for more. The free classes usually are offered at beginner levels, so the fear of not knowing what to do doesn’t have to be there.
- Commit to something for a week, and note each day how it makes you feel, or note how you sleep at night . I think you will see an improvement in both.
- Wear a tracker. Seeing the calories you burned or the steps you took, will motivate you to want to do it again the next day! Many cell phones have this option to count steps without a separate device.
- Have sneakers you love and that feel good! Feet need to be happy to, so invest in a pair that offer you good support!
- Sign up for a local run- you can walk! It can be one that supports a cause you believe in or one sponsored by a local runners club. You don’t have to run or be timed, but you can be apart of a larger cause that will bring you joy at the completion of it all.
- If you have a local gym or Y in the area, see if they have any specials to join and if they offer and intro free training pieces to show you how to use the equipment. Sometimes the fear of not knowing how to do something, keeps us from trying.
- Grab one of your kids and/ or dogs and take them outside a bit. Maybe it will e playing ball in the yard or going for a short walk. Either way, it is getting some activity. Starting small counts !
Give it a shot and see if it has some positive result for you. I am happy to share any other ideas. I have gotten to a place in my life, that exercise now is a must for me. I never thought I would say that!
*book suggestions are affiliate links