October! Can you believe it? Sometimes I wake up and wonder what month, season and year it is!!
We are in week 4 of virtual school at our home and it has been HARD! It is mentally exhausting to be on the computer and to be so disconnected. I am talking about what is is like for me. I can only imagine how difficult it is for my son. I can see his struggles, I can feel his anxiety and I can not do anything about it except continue to support him. I know the teachers are also struggling, it is not easy for anyone. Many have asked me what my days are like and I thought I would share a little with you all, it may confirm that for those of us doing this- we are not alone.
Monday – Friday our school day virtually is 9am- 3 pm. The day was shortened this week and that was a great change.
- I wake up by 6 am to work on my websites and try to get some work done.
- Our guy wakes up and has breakfast at 815
- We are on computer at 855 for start of the day
- We have lunch at 1115 and we try to walk, but it is hard to get that in plus lunch on time
- Day ends at 3 and he takes a break for an hour while I prep dinner and try to get house work done
- Homework at 4 pm for a little bit – I have actually fallen asleep during this time with him 🙂
- Dinner at 630 or so and then a little bit of TV time for me while he plays xbox or game
- I am asleep by 830 -9 pm to get ready to do it all over
The hardest thing I am finding outside of the virtual headaches is my loss of “freedom”. I am use to working, exercising, talking to friends, all of those things that I took for granted. Now, I do not have the ability to have my own time. I have turned to friends to go to the supermarket for me, I am fitting in pockets of time to get things done like paying bills, I will need to rely on friends to sit with Marky to get myself to a doctor appt. It is all so challenging to make the time to get things done.
It truly is amazing how much I took for granted in getting basic things done.
BUT, I am not going to only share the difficult with you, here are some positive things I am finding:
- I am getting to see and observe our guy in ways I never got to
- I can better be his advocate now that I am seeing his strengths and weaknesses
- I am lucky to be able to be with him and work with him daily
- I have learned to ask for help from others as I am use to being on the other side of helping
- My family has a new found appreciation for all I do ( or did) during a day
- We are keeping our focus on the importance of our health and safety and thankful for that
As you know , KNOWDifferent is my passion to help our community connect and share. It has not been possible for me in the ways I am use to, but it is my hope that in time, I will be able to add more and share more. Please be patient with me and know I am not giving up on this!
We will continue with a monthly email for now, skipping a mid month here will allow me to have a little more time to adjust to our new schedule. We will continue to update on our Facebook page and website daily. many of these webinars are FREE and offer great info. If you have one to add, please get in touch.
RESOURCES TO SHARE:
- RAIN Introducing Afternoon Teen Social Club
- ASCV Programming Tue 9/29 – 10/4
- DSGAR After School Social Board
- Some Tips For Virtual Learning – From A Mom Figuring It Out( Or Trying )
- Save The Date For Jacob’s Chance Rock N’ Brews BBQ Virtual Event
- Fun Family Event – Taylor’s Spooky Fun
- Medical Home Plus Shares Reminders And Tips For IEP’s During The Pandemic
- Spot On Therapy Talks About Movement. Movement Matters
- AVEANNA Offers Physical Therapy
- DSAGR’s Step UP for Down Syndrome Virtual 3.21K & Live Car Parade Festival News
- Next Steps Free Consultation Services
- Dominion Youth Services NO Wait For ABA Services in Chesterfield
- Virginia Family Dentistry – Open For Your Dental Needs
- Healing Sounds Fall Programs
KnowDifferent.net is a site for all special need families that have to do anything “KNOWdifferently”. No matter what the diagnosis, our site will offer you a place to learn, a place to share and a place to feel KnowDifferent.We have some great community events coming up, be sure to check our calendar frequently as we add to it daily. Some more detailed info is included here about Winter sessions for our kids to keep busy as well.
To our readers, we thank you for being a part of our network. To our sponsors, we thank you for trusting our platform to help make a difference. To our community, we are so grateful for you all and look forward to growing together.
Be sure to check the site and Facebook to stay up to date. If you have anything you want to share or add, please get in touch. This site is for you, we need to and want to know what works! You can email Carissa or Tricia.
With Gratitude and Commitment,