Have you been counting how many days we have been home? I think it is 80?! I did start counting and then stopped and started again, so I am not sure. What I am sure of is that life can feel a little heavy and hard right now. A pandemic within a pandemic and for most of us on this site, managing a loved one with special needs. How do we do it? I do not have the “right” answer, as each of us will find the way that works best for us. What I can remind you of, is this:
- You are not alone
- You MUST take care of yourself
- You are allowed to have bad days
- You WILL get through this
That is what I remind myself of each day. I also think that as we begin to “reenter”, it is ok not to know how to do that, and for it to feel uncertain. Do what feels right and be patient with yourselves.
As many of you know, I love sharing and writing, and in these last few months, I have not had much to offer. I put all the energy I have into teaching Marky and keeping his days as stimulating as I can . Using the hours early in the morning and late at night, I work on the newsletter to get you all the resources I can find. I know it has been a help to many, as your emails have been such a smile on some of my days. I hope my writing heart comes back sooner vs later, and I will share it here when it does.
Summer is approaching and it sure looks different than in previous years, I will be sharing links for all I can find.
So many wonderful resources have been helpful to us during these last months. They update weekly with new ways to be involved. Below, I am sharing links. Please keep this as a reference and I will add more as I find.
Friends, be safe, stay well, find tiny moments of silence to allow your brain to rest and know that our community is a strong one and we will come out shining.
- ASCV weekly Resources
- Jacob’s Chance weekly resources
- DSGAR’s weekly resources
- RAIN’s weekly resources
- Aveeanna has openings for teletherapy and more
- ASCV’s Virtual 5k – Autism Society Central Virginia AuSome 54-Day Challenge
- Science Museum’s Astronomy fun
- Spot On Therapy Group able provide Telehealth OT/ST/PT services to families.
- Autastic Avenue sharing fun on Facebook
- The I’m Determined Summit is online and free
- Medical Home Plus offers help with IEP ‘s and more
- PEATC webinars
- VCU Ace It Lunch & Learn
- Friendship Circle virtual events
- Resources from SOAR365
In addition, we have quite a few berry farms in the area, this may be a nice way to spend a little time outside. IF that is something you want to try. Here are a few:
- Agriberry. 6289 River Rd, Hanover, VA 23069
- Ashland Berry Farm Inc. Hanover Va 23069
- Lloyd Family Farms. Rockville, VA 23246
- The Berry Patch.Richmond, VA 23231
- Carter Mountain Orchard and Chiles Orchard. about an hour away – peaches and peach ice cream too!
- Chesterfield Berry Farm. Moseley, VA 23120
- Gallmeyer Farms Berry Patch. Richmond Va
- Hanover Vegetable Farm. Ashland, VA 23005
- Swift Creek Berry Farm. Moseley, VA 23120
I will work on some more resources for you all. If you have ideas of what you’d like, please get in touch.
KnowDifferent.net is a site for all special need families that have to do anything “KNOWdifferently”. No matter what the diagnosis, our site will offer you a place to learn, a place to share and a place to feel KnowDifferent.We have some great community events coming up, be sure to check our calendar frequently as we add to it daily. Some more detailed info is included here about Winter sessions for our kids to keep busy as well.
To our readers, we thank you for being a part of our network. To our sponsors, we thank you for trusting our platform to help make a difference. To our community, we are so grateful for you all and look forward to growing together.
Be sure to check the site and Facebook to stay up to date. If you have anything you want to share or add, please get in touch. This site is for you, we need to and want to know what works! You can email Carissa or Tricia.
With Gratitude and Commitment,