The Holidays tend to bring a little more stress to our plates. The schedules can be busier and we put pressures on ourselves that our children feel. These ideas offer some tips for self care that we can use any time of the year. It is so important for us to take a little time to care for ourselves so we have some energy left to care for others.
Many times, it is not until the end of a day when I sit down to write, read or watch a little TV that I realize my day consisted of taking care of everyone but me!
I have spoken about the importance of taking time to do things for your self care, and still hope we all do that. This is a list of actions to try when we are in the midst of a moment that life feels overwhelming, those moments that we think we want to run away or feel like crying. Hopefully, some of these things that have helped me, will help you too!
- BREATHE- yes, breathe, Deep breath , in through your nose and hold it a second, then release it out your mouth. Feel the breath and hold onto it.There is peace in breathing and you are in control of it!
- Write down your list of everything you think you have to do for the day. Now, look at it and choose the ones that are a MUST for the day, let the rest move to your next day. We do not have to get it all done in a day. This is your reminder that it is ok not to put that pressure on yourself.
- Now, write down the list of everything you have done already today. Yes, everything. Laundry, breakfast, phone call to the insurance company, kids to the bus… you get it.. that list is LONG! Take a bow and appreciate how incredible you are!
- Move and stretch your body a little. Your body will thank you. I don’t care if it 5 minutes or 50. It does not have to be a real extreme workout. Maybe a walk around the block ( where you can also breathe) or walk around your kitchen a few times ( yes, I have done this) . Our body needs some movement and it will help to release some of our stress. Jumping jacks in my living room are another one of my escapes. NOT 100 either, just enough to get my blood flowing and take my mind off the stress I was experiencing.
- Visualize 3 things you are thankful for. Do not overthink it, it can be anything that comes to mind. Like, the sun shining, the friend that called to say hi, whatever makes your heart grateful, It is a wonderful reminder of the good around us and gratitude breeds happiness !
- Say no to anything you do not have to do. It is ok to set that limit and allow yourself
Just know that the moment that you are in is not permanent and you will get through it. You are not alone and it is ok to be feeling overwhelmed. It happens to all of us. Taking about and working through it is all part of the process. These tips really do help me, I hope they help you too.