Original one act plays by Virginia teens in grades 9-12 are now being accepted.
NEW VOICES FOR THE THEATER
New Voices for the Theater is the nationally acclaimed statewide high school playwriting competition for Virginia students in grades 9-12 that celebrates and cultivates young writing talent from across Virginia. This program provides a life-changing opportunity for high school writers to work with professional playwrights, actors, and other theatre artists.
Application can be found here,
- Open to all Virginia student residents in grades 9-12.
- No play should be more than 25 minutes’ running time (approximately 20 pages).
- All scripts must be original – no adaptations of other authors’ work.
NO SCREENPLAYS OR MUSICALS.
- All scripts must NOT have been previously produced in a professional setting.
- Scripts must be typed with numbered pages in a Microsoft Word file or PDF.
- Each play must have a character breakdown and a cover page with the following:
- Author’s name
- School name
- Phone number (Home & Cell)
- Email (If you do not have email, please provide parent’s email address)
- Playwrights must submit a copy of their play with the New Voices application HERE
- Authors should keep a copy of their scripts, as the original cannot be returned.
- As you write your play, make sure each character has a specific purpose for
being there. Superfluous, small-part characters deter production viability;
further, if you are including the brief appearance of this character in order to
introduce new information to further the plot, re-examine how you can adjust
the revelation of this information through essential characters and action.