Whether we are ready or not, even if you’re child was in a program most of the Summer; school shopping will be happening. I have gathered some of the items on our list as well as some that I think look like great options.
Many are sensory-related, others offer some ease in organization.
Are there any that you love that you’d like to share?
- A knapsack that charges a device! Our son relies on hos phone and we are sure to always have an external charger for him. I like this added safety measure for him. The storage of shoes is s neat addition if your child requires a second pair for PE too. It comes in many colors too.
- Fidget Widgets are an alternative to the spinners, they are an option for stress relief or fidgety hands. They offer sensory/tactile assistance and the colors are soothing.
3. Weighted Blanket. We did not have luck with this, we tried a few but all of them were too much for our son. He likes having some weight on him, but only that of a larger stuffed animal. I know many really like this and the rice point o this one is great.
4. Earphones for hearing protection. These are lightweight and super comfy and will protect from all the extra sounds our children sometimes need to block out. They come n many colors and fold too!
5. Our son loves visual cues and he loves rewards. A Behavior/ Achievement chart helps us stay on track. I use to make one on my computer, but I really love the ease of the stickers and color coding! I personally wish someone had this for me too! 🙂
6. Mood Choices Booklet. Sticking with visual cues, this booklet helps kids identify how they are feeling. I like the simplicity of the book and the ease it can offer to help children understand the difference. We see with our son, the struggle he has with the difference between angry and sad.
7. Balance Chair. I know a lot of classes have added these, ours have not, but we have tried them and our son loves the ability to move and rock a little. I like that this one has a back and support. I think having one at home is a great tool when it is time to do some homework or activity.
8. Light Projector. We have one in our son’s room and he loves it. The lights and motion bring him comfort and it is so soothing. I lay with him at times and wonder why I don’t have on in my room too!
9. No Tie Shoe Laces! YUP this is a thing. It is a time saver and one less thing to stress over! I’m pretty sure I would have gotten these for my girls way back when too!
10. For the teachers that you are want a unique gift idea, a T shirt reminding them how awesome they are and how awesome our kids are! This one focuses on Autism, but there are others too.
11. Lunch storage. These are great for multi snacks and keeping them from touching. That is a known issue for us and these really help!
12. Pencil Grips. I like that these offer the assistance with 2 fingers for a little more ease.
13. Travel hand sanitizer. Our guy requires this all the time, he can be a little fixated on clean hands, which is not a bad thing. Many are very drying, but this one has no alcohol with aa smell that is not harsh.
14. A water bottle that stays cold and is leakproof! This one is a great size, has a spout for easier sipping and is a good fit for backpacks