Mother’s Day is always a day that I would look forward to yet I use to struggle with being disappointed. I did it to myself and realized it was because I wasn’t always letting my family know what I needed. I wanted the element of surprise, then wondered why they got it all wrong. So, it got me thinking about the things that would make me happy and things I would love to receive. For me, it is not about jewelry, flowers or fancy restaurants. It is about being together and making memories. On the receiving end, the gifts that make me happy are the ones I can do by myself and/ or help me take care of myself.
This is a list of the ones that make me smile. If they work for you, send this article to your partner- they should get the hint!
- A manicure/ pedicure. With the weather getting nice and flip flops coming, this is a great time to have a little pampering. I love when I look down at my toes and see them smiling back at me.
- A facial. Not only is it important for our skin to be taken care of, but the pampering is also a luxury we deserve.
- A massage. Just like the facial, our bodies need and deserve to be taken care of.
- A gift certificate to a book store. This is one of my favorite spots. I love to browse books, make lists of books I want to read and then sit down and just enjoy the quiet.
- Homemade coupons. YES, these work. Some ideas can be, Good for one unloading of the dishwasher, Good for one night of TV control, Good for one night of not cooking dinner.
- A gift card to your favorite place to eat. It can be enough for just you to go, and even if you eat in the car alone. you will enjoy every second of it.
- A gift card to one of your favorite stores to shop in. Then, you can go, get something you love and maybe even find it on sale! ( I pride myself on being the queen of finding deals)
- Tickets to a movie. Maybe 2, and you can grab a friend and see a matinee!
- Do you have a hobby or interest in trying something new? Maybe painting, pottery or glass blowing? A gift card to one of these could be a great girlfriend date
- Hand made gifts that are useful or include a picture of your children. Grabbing some ideas from Pinterest, running to your local craft store and printing a picture of your kids to use to this will be a memory that you will love. My favorite is a key holder that our kids made.
All of these can be affordable options as well. Using your local Groupon, or searching for specials online can offer you some great specials to help these become attainable for you.
There is a theme to these “gifts”, most allow you to have a little pampering as well as providing a little time by yourself. Both of which are so important for your well being. If you are lucky enough to get some of these gift cards on Mother’s Day, do not let them stack up on your wallet- get the dates set!
3 additional tips I have begun practicing these last years that I think are very helpful:
- When you buy that book with your gift card, keep in in your car so you can read in the downtime you have.
- When you want flowers, buy flowers. You do not need to wait to get them!
- Learn to like your own company. Being alone does not mean you have to be lonely!
My wish for all of you is a day of peace.