It is Summer, and kids are home more, have more downtime and we need to to keep our goals simple. We deserve to have a little less to do and enjoy what we can. Here is a list of some ideas that offer easy options to make some memories and have some fun.
- Turn everyday moments into learning opportunities.
We do so much everyday that could allow for opportunity to teach. Cooking dinner and shopping, are great learning moments . Teach about money by allowing your child to pay for the items, teach fractions when cooking by having your child do the measuring. We are doing these things anyway, so take the extra minute to have it be a lesson that teaches.
- Read. BUT , just one book, not one a week and no report to write. Keep it simple, do a page or a paragraph a day, read it over and over. Celebrate each chapter. Go ahead, you deserve it.
- Encourage and praise your child every day. All school year long, we are reminded of the areas of weakness for our kids, now let’s celebrate it all. Let’s smile at those little things that we find so charming.
- Empty out the binders and knapsack before the August 15th. Mine is still sitting on the hook from the last day of school. I am not ready yet, but will take it down and clean it out in the next few weeks. I hope there is no food in there, but I do hope I find some work that will make me smile and share with him to give some praise. The rest will be tossed and fed to the garbage!
- Enjoy the time your child spends on their “devices”. Take this time to let your kids play their favorite game and watch their favorite show while YOU grab a book, close your eyes or whatever it is that you want to do! You have earned it.