Mom’s are amazing! We multi-task, coordinate it all and take so very little. For those of us that add raising a child with a special need to the mix, well, we deserve a special recognition. Why, you ask? Here’s just 6 reasons.. I could have doubled the list. but this will be a good enough start.
- We are magicians. We can make things appear and disappear to meet our kids needs, we can give voices to those that cannot, and we can understand so much without the use of any words.
- We challenge health care. Doctors and “experts’ tell us what our kids can and cannot do, and we show them otherwise with our commitment, perseverance and determination.
- We are so strong. Not only mentally, but physically. We deal with tantrums, hold down our kids during doctor visits, carry them when they wont walk. Most of the time, we do all of this, and hold our composure to keep a brave face on.
- We run marathons, every day. There is no crowd there to cheer us on, but we do. How many days do you stop to use the bathroom, or even eat lunch ? Not many as you are to busy getting from one appointment to the next, too busy getting meals prepped and doing our list. Count your steps- you will be impressed.
- We are comediennes. We find humor in things around us daily that many could never. We have learned to laugh at so many things around us. We laugh at ourselves and we laugh at things like leaving the house with no bra on or 2 different shoes, forgetting the papers on the counter that you needed for the appointment you are on the way to, realizing it has been months since you had a date and appreciating 4 hours of straight sleep! We also make others laugh- as caretakers, we innately want to keep people happy, so when someone is feeling down, we tend to bring a smile to their face.
- We are humble. We do what we do and think nothing of it, we don’t seek praise and so many of us don’t ask for help. We have learned perspective and we are grateful for so many little things.
On Mother’s Day, allow some time to be celebrated- any way you want. If it sitting alone for 10 minutes- then do it. Remember, our loved ones do not know what we want or need, we need to let them know. Celebrate you! You are incredible, you are awesome and you are so appreciated.
On Mother’s Day, I send you all a virtual hug and thank you for being a part of my life. It helps me so much to know I am not alone.