Sometimes people say things without thinking and sometimes people say things and think it may help. I realize that usually it is not done or said with malice but, many times, as parents of kids with special needs, we have to bite our tongue, or, our tongue may spit out some rapid words we regret.
Here is a list of things we DO NOT want to hear and that will NOT make us feel better. Maybe we can use this to spread the word in hopes it will help others.
1. “He/she doesn’t look like anything is wrong.”
2. “But he/ she seems so normal.” ( whatever that is!)
3. “How do you find the strength, this must be so hard?”
4. “Maybe they will outgrow it”
5. “You are only given what you can handle.”
6. “Is it genetic?” or “Did you do something to cause this?”